It's Raining in Sembrano

‘A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it.’

After my uneventful last climb which leaves me wanting for more, I told my hiking buddy and friend Alvin about it. He immediately arrange for me to join the group’s next hike. My third official climb led me once again to the province of Rizal, but this time it was in the town of Pililla. My Mount Sembrano dayhike gave me what I craved for – more than what I expected, in reality. Just when I thought I had my worst climb in the same province, this was probably the biggest surprise in my entire life. As it turned out, my Sembrano climb earned the distinction of being the hardest one I've done.


For this hike, I was able to sit comfortably in the passenger seat as I managed to secure that elusive seat at the front of the van. We headed to Rizal province and the journey took longer than it should have been since we got lost on our way to the town of Pililla. We took the wrong route and we’ve already went too far when we realized this. When we finally arrived in Pililla, it was drizzling. We then proceeded to the barangay hall for registration. After registration and securing our guides, we again boarded our van which then brought us to the trailhead. The trailhead was just a few meters from the barangay hall. It was a paved road, just at the foot of the mountain. We unloaded the van and made last minute preparations. A short introduction amongst participants, a prayer, and a photo shoot ensued before starting the trek.




The beginning of the trek started on a steep paved road that ultimately led to a rock-filled path. There were also gradual assaults which was made intimidating because of the presence of sharp boulders. It was a refreshing start though considering the trail was boarded with lush trees and bushes. After a while, we reach the Manggahan campsite where we rested for a while. There were hikers who set camp in the area. There were also stores there selling refreshments. Taking a rest there means taking the opportunity to hydrate and consume some trail foods.


After our short respite we resume our trek. Just past the Manggahan campsite, the trail started to get steeper. There were huge boulders and extruding tree roots along our path that slowed us down. And as we get nearer the summit, occasional drizzle became eminent. I had no idea how long the drizzle will go. Since it was almost February during that time, I assumed that heavy rain was not possible. I was dead wrong because after reaching the North Peak of the mountain, rain started to pour. From the North Peak we were greeted with the stunning landscape of the Sierra Madre mountain ranges and the legendary Laguna Lake. Mount Tagapo and Talim Island can also be seen from a distant as well as the Pililla Wind Farm.



The rain shower did not bother us for some time and we proceeded with the sightseeing and were able to do some photo ops. Not wanting to waste our time, the group then decided to eat our lunch right there. I left my packed lunch in the van so I had to be content with a burger that Alvin gave me. After consuming our food, we decided to proceed to the South Peak. The rain eventually subsided during that time.




The path leading to the South Peak was grassland where you had to make your way between tall grasses. It was nerve wracking especially when I realize that on my right side was a deep ravine. The trail was slippery because of the rain but somehow we manage to reach the South Peak. The South Peak which also served as a campsite had a small area compared to the North peak.




There was a good view from the summit so we immediately grabbed the chance for some photo op. We were still having fun when the rain suddenly made an appearance again. This time it came with strong winds. I began to feel the cold as my body and clothes were already drenched in rain water. Despite the situation, we decided to make our way down. I was overwhelmed by the harsh climate and I braced myself for the worst scenario. There was an instance that we had to sit down to avoid the strong winds that seemed to be able to blow us away. I just go on despite the struggle. Most of us did not bring any rain coat or rain jacket so we had to brave the rain, wind and cold. I remained focused as I did my descent. I did not let the raging elements destroy my spirit. I just know I had to make it down safely.




The struggle went on as we were reaching the North Peak. I endured all the pain and the cold. I was literary crawling as I went down the steep and slippery path leading to the North Peak. Others chose to slide down to the slippery grass. It was absurd and dangerous and I did not follow suit. I just tightened my grip on the grass as I went down slowly and carefully. It took a lot of effort to go on and my body started to ache. It was such a disaster and I was unaware on how terrible I looked, being wet and muddy all over.


After making our way out of North Peak, it was then a descent to the rocky part of the trail. There was still constant drizzle as we continued our trek. I was with a couple of female companions along the way while most of our companions were still in the summit. We proceeded with the trek resting only at the Manggahan campsite. After that we continued until reaching the paved road where we hurriedly looked for our van.


We returned to the barangay hall to take a bath and change clothes but sadly there was no water available in the bathrooms. We had no choice but return to the trailhead and ask around households if they would allow us to use their bathroom. We manage to find one generous lady who allowed us to use their bathroom. The water was cold and there was no light inside the bathroom but I badly needed a shower so I quickly took a bath and change into some dry and comfortable clothes.





After that, we returned to the jump-off point where some members of the group were already waiting. After some time, the others started arriving. There were some discussions after everybody had arrived. Others preferred going to the Bugarin Wind Farms while others preferred going to Daranak Falls. We only had limited time left so we cannot stick to our original itinerary of going to both Bugarin Wind Farms and Daranak Falls. The organizer of the event decided that we headed instead to Daranak Falls. So after some disappointment in the group we headed to Daranak Falls in Tanay.


Daranak Falls is a famous destination in Tanay and is accessible by road. There was an entrance fee to the resort. There are huts and tables for rent inside. Bathrooms and shower rooms were also available for a fee. I did find myself inside the resort but somehow it did not impress me. The 14 meter high waterfall was just ordinary for my taste. The resort is crowded with mostly local tourists upon our visit. I just strolled around the vicinity of the falls before deciding to make my exit.


I wandered outside the resort for awhile before deciding on boarding our van. I suddenly felt the urge to eat considering that I didn’t take my lunch yet, so while waiting for the others I decided to consume my packed lunch. I stayed inside the van until finally everybody was back from their rendezvous to the waterfalls. We immediately left the place. It was late afternoon when we hit the road back in Cubao. We manage to have our dinner along the way.


In life, we sometimes learn the hard way. Adversities teach us that we are human and aren’t as invincible as we may think we are. The test of nature in my climb of Mount Sembrano made me realize that there are certain battles not worth fighting for. We had to admit that we will never win against the wrath of nature. No matter how experienced you are as a mountaineer there will come a time when you will question your own capabilities and your spirit will waiver. You’ll learn that you are not in control and you can’t do everything by yourselves. Preparedness alone is not enough to survive. When looming with uncertainties, better seek divine guidance to have that wisdom on what path to take.



I swear that I would not pursue a climb when I know there is a possibility of a downpour. Aside from being perilous, trekking in extreme weather conditions requires strength, endurance and presence of mind. In case you find yourself in this kind of situation, you really have to weigh your options on whether to continue or just stay behind. If you think you can handle it and it is not safe to stay behind then better continue with the trek otherwise just stay where you are until it is safer to go on.


Bracing the unexpected downpour in Sembrano was a struggle which made my climb to that mountain one of my most difficult ever. The experience traumatized me that I even made a vow not to do climbs during rainy season. Of course, I manage to overcome the trauma and is still pursuing climb even in unpredictable weather condition; although the Sembrano incident instilled important lessons to me – and that is to be physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared for each climb. Upon realizing the accompanying risks, it made me take mountaineering seriously. I begin to give priority to my safety. It is our responsibility to take care of ourselves. Our safety should always be of utmost importance to us whether to be in the mountain or anywhere else. More than great pictures and good memories, our life is far more precious than anything else. We should always value our life as it is God’s greatest gift to us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bakit Ako Umaakyat ng Bundok? (V.2 - Hugot Version)

Ang Apat na Bundok ng Cawag (Balingkilat, Bira-Bira, Dayungan at Cinco Picos)

Misadventures at San Jose Circuit (Mt. Kawayan, Mt. Bungkol Baka and Mt. Tangisan)