How Pulag Broke My Heart

'There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love.'




I was optimistic about my third climb to Mount Pulag. The months of planning the trip with my hiking group, Tarlac Outdoor Club, was easy since I’ve done it before. We previously had our Pulag climb on April 21-22, so I know exactly what to do. There were 15 people who made it to the list compared to just 7 when we had our climb in April. I thought having more companions would be better. It was fun travelling and hiking with lots of people, especially with friends. The more, the merrier they say. I thought we were having fun but then unexpected things happened, which made my whole Pulag experience one, if not the worst hike I had ever done. It was heartbreaking. The absence of sea of clouds at the summit, and the presence of crowds at the trail and at the summit made it even worse. What really transpired in my third time in Pulag was something unexpected and it later changed everything - about my conviction and my hiking group. Reminiscing the whole journey was hard because it pained me and made me realized how life can be so unpredictable.







I was very strict about time. Every time we had a hike, I constantly reminded everyone to come on time at our meeting place. I was glad they did come early during our Pulag climb. We were able to follow our itinerary and depart from Tarlac en route to Baguio on time. We arrived in Baguio before 4 in the morning. The monster jeepney that will transport us to Bokod and then Kabayan, Benguet was already there. After some preparations and when everything was ready, we boarded the monster jeepney and left Baguio City.










It was the same route. Those climbing Mount Pulag always make a short visit to Ambuklao Dam and Jang Jang Hanging bridge, which are both located in Bokod, Benguet. Our first stop was at Ambuklao Dam. The visit in this dam was mainly for some photo ops as we were not able to explore the place. After that we continued our journey and made another short stop at Jang Jang Hanging Bridge. The group did some photo shoot at the bridge, the longest I had ever seen. We divided the group into two batches since the bridge can only accommodate up to 10 persons at one time.































After our short stay at the Jang Jang Hanging Bridge we again continued the journey. We arrived at the DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) office before 8 in the morning and it was still closed at the time. We patiently waited outside the office together with other groups of mountaineers. When the door was opened at around 8 in the morning we immediately went inside. I handed our registration form including our medical certificates to the personnel inside the office. While waiting for the start of the orientation everyone busied themselves with buying some souvenirs that are being sold inside the office.









When the orientation room was opened, we immediately went inside together with the other groups. The orientation went on. It was shorter than the last one I attended. I guess it has something to do with the number of hikers that day. We were the first batch to have the orientation. Others were still outside waiting for their turn. Obviously, Pulag is being visited by hikers mostly during weekends rather than during week days. After the orientation, I paid the necessary fees and then we had our group photo outside the DENR office. We headed to the Babadak Ranger Station in Kabayan. It was less than an hour drive. Upon arrival, we were greeted again by a large number of hikers. I went inside the Ranger Station to pay fees and secure our guides for our hike the following day. The others in the group took the opportunity to visit and buy something from the many stalls located within the vicinity of the ranger station.








We proceeded to Baban’s Homestay after everybody was done with their shopping. It was about that time that some of us began to feel hungry. We were supposed to cook our lunch at the homestay. So, upon arriving there, we immediately prepare our lunch. Each one in the group worked together in preparing the food. It was ready by lunch time.








After our lunch, most in the group decided to take a nap. I didn’t feel sleepy at all. Together with my Co-Admin in the group, Emmaculada, we decided to go outside. We roamed around. Outside the house were vegetable farms. It was only after noon but the whole place was beginning to be engulfed by fog. The view was inviting so we took the time to take some photos. When we were done we went inside the house and decided to prepare our dinner. We planned to have our dinner early so that we can sleep early since we have to wake up at 12 midnight. Our trek is scheduled at 1 in the morning.






The monster jeepney fetched and transported us to the Ranger Station. We arrived at the Babadak Ranger Station before 1 in the morning and one of our guides was already there. We had to wait for our other guide. While waiting, we had our photo shoot. There were a lot of hikers in the area and some already started the trek. When our guide finally arrived, we had an orientation. We said a prayer and then started the trek, joining the other groups along the trail.




It was dawn and it was dark and a bit colder. As went along, I noticed that some parts of the trail was muddy. There was a long line of hikers along the trail. For some reason I felt uncomfortable with the crowd along the trail even though I expected it. After about an hour, we finally reached Camp 1. We made a stop there to rest along with the other hikers.





We continued our trek after a few minutes. The rest in our group was ahead of us. We entered the mossy forest. We lost sight of the rest of the group but I was optimistic that we will meet them at Camp 2. The trail in the mossy forest was mostly flat and easy, but it took us more than an hour before reaching Camp 2. We were reunited with the rest of the group. We again stopped at Camp 2 to rest along with the other hikers. The camp was crowded. Everyone seemed to be resting before heading straight to the summit. From Camp 2, it is only an hour trek to Peak 1 or Pulag’s summit.



The group took a thirty minute rest since it was still early. Then we started our final assault to the summit. It was four in the morning and the cold was eminent. We began to enter the grass land although we cannot recognize the dwarf bamboos along the trail since it was still dark. The cold and exhaustion from hours of walking lessened our pace. The sun started to show up. We saw Peak 1 but we still had to make a steep ascent before finally reaching it. When we finally reached the summit we were greeted by the crowd of hikers.  




Some in our group are scattered in the summit area and having their own photo shoot. The sun was beginning to show up in the horizon. Sadly, there was no sea of clouds unlike on my previous climb. Still, watching the sun rise at Luzon’s highest peak was surreal. It was an experience of a lifetime. It compensates for all the sacrifices we had to make just to be there, like waking up early at midnight, walking for more than four hours, and braving the cold weather.




While waiting for our turn at the summit marker we decided to have our breakfast. It was a packed meal prepared by Baban’s. After our meals we again roamed the summit for some photo shoot. When we return to the summit marker we finally had our group and individual photo shoot.










We made another set of group photos a few meters below the summit marker and then decided to make our way down. One of our guides together with some members of our group are ahead of us. Being the sweeper of the group, I was trailing behind the rest of the group.



We reached Camp 2 after an hour. We stayed there for a while to rest and for some bathroom break. The five members of the group who are ahead of us are not around the camp. It seemed that they made their way directly to camp 1 along with the other guide. I was disappointed since I expected them waiting for us at camp 2 for our group photo shoot. After proceeding with the trek and reaching camp 1, there was still no sign of the rest in our group. Then suddenly, I received text message from three of our companions informing me that they were already at Baban’s Homestay. I felt mad because I expected them waiting for us either in Camp 1 or Camp 2. I also become worried because I had no idea where our two other companions are. Added to my worries is the realization that they don’t have a guide with them unlike the three others which were accompanied by one of our guide.



The remaining ten of us in the group had no choice but to make our way to the Ranger Station. After one hour we reached the Ranger Station which culminates the end of our trek. The two members in the group are not there, then I finally received another text message. Our two missing members were at the house. I felt relief upon learning that they are all safe. Still, I was mad as hell of what the five members of the group did. I felt they abandoned the group and decided by themselves to proceed directly to the house instead of waiting for us at the Ranger Station. That was not part of our agreement. Before we started the trek I made it clear that we will go together and the senior male members of the group will assist some of our female members. It seemed that a few kilometers before the Ranger Station, the five decided to ride the habal-habal that took them directly to Baban’s Homestay. As we made our way to the Ranger Station, we pass some habal-habal parked along the side of the road offering ride for a fee. I understand that our five companions were tempted to ride the habal-habal because they were already tired and want to proceed directly to the house. What they did was disappointing because they never informed me about it. The least they could have done was to wait for the group at the Ranger Station where our other guide waited for us.








Because of what the five members in the group did, I was mad upon returning to the house where we were staying. I immediately informed the rest of the group that we will stick and follow our itinerary. We will leave at exactly 1 in the afternoon. We still have to make a short stop over at DENR to get our climb certificates before finally making our way back to Baguio City.



After taking our lunch and settling our bills at the home stay we decided to leave and proceed to DENR office in Ambangeg. I was still mad at that time. I cannot control myself and decided not to talk to the five members of the group. Upon reaching DENR office I simply took our climb certificates and then we left and began traversing the same route out of Bokod. We reached Baguio City after more than 3 hours. We had our lunch in Baguio and did some pasalubong shopping. After two hours we made our way back to Tarlac.





Pulag broke my heart for some unexpected reasons but it was not enough to keep me from returning to this unique place. I am still eager to return to this mountain despite that traumatic incident involving some members of my hiking group. Honestly, I will never get tired of coming back to Pulag. Everytime I go there, it gives me beautiful memories. The long travel was all worth it. The side trips to Ambuklao Dam and Jang Jang Hanging Bridge was enjoyable. The orientation at the DENR was informative. The stay at Baban’s Home stay was comforting and relaxing with the view of the surrounding vegetable farms around. The cold weather was something to be reckoned with but it was exciting. Strolling around the Ranger Station was something I look forward to as well. It is in the villages of Kabayan and Bokod that you will experience simplicity. I realized that genuine happiness can be found even in simple things in life.






If there was one lesson that my Pulag journey taught me, it was how to handle unruly people. It was the first time I experienced dealing with this kind of people who had a penchant for disregarding rules. It was disheartening knowing that some of them were my friends. To deal with them, I had to do the right thing. That was to permanently remove them from the group. The decision was hard because most of them were my colleagues and friends, but I had to do it since some of them were repeatedly doing the despicable act. I was devastated and moving on was not easy, but life has to go on. I don’t want to wallow in sorrow and despair. Opportunities are abound to keep me from being optimistic and moving forward. Despite the unpleasant events that transpired in Pulag, I will forever treasure the memories of my third time in the place called ‘The Playground of the Gods’. The disappointment I had experienced just made me stronger. It taught me to stand for my ideals in life, to fight for what I believe was right. I may have gained some enemies or lost friends in the process, but at least, I learned and became a better person because of it.





Mt. Pulag via Ambangeg Trail
Sitio Ambangeg, Brgy. Daclan, Bokod, Benguet
June 3-4, 2017

ITINERARY:

DAY 1 (Saturday)

12:00 AM – Assembly at McDonalds-Motorway
01:00 AM – ETD for Baguio City
03:30 AM – ETA Baguio City
04:00 AM – Board monster jeep for DENR
05:00 AM – Breakfast along the way/Sidetrip to Ambuklao Dam, Jang Jang hanging bridge
08:00 AM – ETA DENR/Orientation
09:00 AM - Depart for Babadak Ranger Station
09:45 AM - ETA Ranger Station/Secure guides
10:15 AM - Depart for homestay
10:30 AM – ETA Baban's Homestay
12:00 PM - Lunch
01:00 PM – Free time
06:00 PM – Dinner
07:00 PM – Lights out

DAY 2 (Sunday)

12:00 AM – Wake-up call
12:45 AM – Depart for Ranger Station
01:00 AM – ETA Ranger Station/Start trek
02:30 AM – ETA Camp 1/Rest
04:00 AM – ETA Camp 2/Rest
05:30 AM – ETA Pulag summit/Sunrise viewing/Photo op/Breakfast
07:00 AM – Descent back to Ranger station
08:00 AM – ETA Camp 2/Rest
10:00 AM – ETA Camp 1/Rest
11:30 AM – ETA Ranger Station
11:50 PM – Depart for home stay
12:00 PM - ETA home stay/Lunch/Wash up
02:00 PM – Depart for Baguio City/Short stop at DENR to get certificates
05:00 PM – ETA Baguio City/Pasalubong shopping/Dinner
07:00 PM – ETD for Tarlac City
10:00 PM – ETA Tarlac City

CONTACT INFORMATION:

For inquiries and reservations at Mt. Pulag, call or text the following:
Marah - 0907-100-2626
Roy - 0929-166-8864
Daisy - 0910-301-0423
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mt-Pulag-National-Park-Bulletin-499104300135824/
E-mail address: ambangeg@gmail.com


Baban's Homestay
Sitio Babalak, Brgy. Bashoy, Kabayan, Benguet
Ms. Susan Baban
Contact no.: 0907-901-8454
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mt-Pulag-Summit-VIEW-Babans-Homestay-1377645532548104/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bakit Ako Umaakyat ng Bundok? (V.2 - Hugot Version)

Ang Apat na Bundok ng Cawag (Balingkilat, Bira-Bira, Dayungan at Cinco Picos)

Misadventures at San Jose Circuit (Mt. Kawayan, Mt. Bungkol Baka and Mt. Tangisan)