Surprises in Ulap

'There's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.'



Mount Ulap never fails to amaze me. This Cordilleran mountain was always full of surprises every time I go there. On my third time in this mountain, I was again rewarded with the beauty of its trail and its scenery. My third visit in Ulap and my second time doing a traverse become more unforgettable because of what transpired before the culmination of our climb. 






For my third Ulap’s hike I was with my group, Tarlac Outdoor Club, were I was joined by 21 others mostly friends and colleagues. It was the biggest event I organized so far. It helped that I’ve been to Ulap before, thus, it was easy to make all the planning. Although, it takes time and effort to place a reservation for our group since it is now required by the Local Government Unit (LGU) of Ampucao. Yes, since February hikers are now required to make prior reservation and the numbers of hikers is now limited to a mere 500 during weekends and 150 during week days. This decision to regulate the number of hikers was due to the growing number of hikers visiting the mountain especially during weekends.





The regulation regarding the number of trekkers was visibly obvious when we arrived at the Ampucao barangay hall. The place used to be crowded during early morning on weekends. But that time, only a few hikers were seen in the area. Another rules implemented by the LGU of Ampucao was that vehicles are not allowed anymore to be parked in the barangay hall covered court and even in the Santa Fe exit. Instead, they now have a designated parking area a few meters away from the Santa Fe exit.




These new regulations bring a total different experience to me. Compared to my previous visit of Ulap just three months ago a lot of things really changed. Before we start the trek we now have to lined up in front of the registration area and let them put a mark on our arms. This mark was then shown to the personnel manning the area at the start of the trailhead. The registration and parking fees remains the same but the guide fee increases and the guide ratio changed too. I think that the increase in guide fee was reasonable and I am not against it. 
























Upon reaching Peak 1, I noticed another difference. The trail going down to Peak 2 was now closed. There was a fence made of wood to block the path going down. I remember that on our last time there, most of us struggled on our way down that path because it was steep and the trail showed sign of deterioration. Maybe it was the reason it was closed. To make our way down, we were diverted on the side of Peak 1, this is the path leading to the adjacent hill of the first peak.














Another surprise Ulap brings was the good weather condition. I was glad that there was a clearing at the Gungal rock. It was also noticeable that there was no long queue at the rock unlike before. We took our lunch before lining up for our photo op at the rock. After that we proceed with the trek. On our way to Peak 3 we follow a different path which according to our guide was the short route to reach Ulap’s summit. In no time, we reached Peak 3. There was a clearing again in the summit much to my surprise. We immediately took the opportunity for some photo shoot since we are the only group in the summit.


























After we get tired of taking pictures we decided to leave the summit. I was again surprise with the presence of manmade stairs going down Peak 3. The trail was steep and the stairs was installed to prevent accidents I presumed. The descent proved to be easy with the presence of the stairs but after that is another steep descent. This time, there were no stairs. We made our way down carefully until finally reaching Camp Site 2. We did not bother to linger there. There were houses and stores nearby so we decided to proceed there. After reaching the nearby store we immediately bought cold soda and some ice candy. We took a rest there while waiting for our other companions.


















When all was prepared and ready to go we proceed with the final leg of the trek. We made our descent to Santa Fe. I decided to lead the group leaving behind Pinky as the sweeper of the group. Before leaving the small village we passed some rescuers tending to an injured female hiker. They are about to take her down to Santa Fe. I decided to go ahead together with one companion. I want to finish the trek early so that I can take a bath and take a much needed rest. We passed a couple of hikers going down. After reaching another village we decided to take another rest and also bought some refreshment.




Some of our companions arrived. After a few minutes of rest we decided to continue the trek. At that point we are almost near the end of the trail. There was another short steep descent before finally reaching the villages down where the paved road leads us all the way to the end of the trail. At the end of the trail we are grateful that our vans are already there waiting for us. We immediately go to the nearest shower area and took a bath. After that I received a text message from Pinky, one of the team leaders of the group. I was shocked when I Iearned that one of our companion collapsed on her way down. I immediately called Pinky. She told me what happened and informed me that rescuers are on their way to help them. I was worried because it was the first time such thing happened in our climb. I approach and talked to one of the barangay tanod in Santa Fe. They assured me that a rescue team was already dispatched and are on their way to assist our group.






One by one the rest in the group arrived and then the rescuers arrived together with our injured team mate. I was worried at her condition since it looked like she was in pain. It took time before the rescuers were able to put her comfortably inside our van. I learned later that she suffered muscle cramps due to dehydration since during our initial trek she vomited. It took time to handle and pacify the situation and decide what to do next. Later on, Sheila’s condition improved, so we decided to proceed to Baguio City for our dinner since everyone was starving. We simply take a quick dinner in a fast food store along Session Road then made our way home.



Just when I thought that there was nothing interesting Ulap can show me for my third visit, I was in for a surprise. I was grateful that I was able to catch a clearing at the Gungal rock and at the summit. I was also thankful that it did not rain during the duration of our trek until we leave Itogon. All was going well until the accident struck our group. But rather than be despair, I looked at the positive side of that incident. It taught me one valuable lesson, and that was to be always prepared. To keep in mind the adage: ‘Always hope for the best and expect for the worst’. Although what happened to Sheila was not that serious, still, being the organizer and one of the leaders of the group, I have to be responsible and look after the welfare of each member of the group. 


Ulap’s trail was still the same except to some minor improvements including installation of structures for the benefit of hikers. My third time in Ulap bested my previous hikes there. The new rules implemented by the Ampucao LGU were understandable and somehow expected. The decision to regulate the number of hikers was a good move to save the mountain from further destruction. It was always worthwhile traversing the Ampucao and Santa Fe ridge. A lot of things happened during my third time in Ulap. I experienced something different and I discovered something new. While the unfortunate accident that occurred was unexpected it gave me an opportunity to be ready and to have a contingency plan in case of emergency. Ulap is really full of surprises. It never fail to impressed and leave a mark on me every time. I will never get tired of going back there, and I am looking forward for the surprises that await me when I come back.



Mt. Ulap Traverse Dayhike
March 18, 2017
Ampucao, Itogon, Benguet

ITINERARY:


04:00 AM  Assembly at McDonalds-Motorway
05:00 AM  ETD to Itogon, Benguet
07:30 AM  ETA Brgy. Ampucao/Register

08:00 AM  Start trek

10:00 AM  Peak 1 - Ambanao Paoay/Camp Site 1

11:00 AM  Peak 2 - Gungal Rock/Lunch/Photo op

01:30 PM  Peak 3 - Mt. Ulap summit

02:00 PM  Start descend to Sta. Fe

02:30 PM  Camp Site 2

04:00 PM  ETA Sta. Fe/Wash up

05:30 PM  ETD Brgy Ampucao to Baguio City
06:30 PM  ETA Baguio City/Dinner
07:30 PM  ETD Baguio City
10:30 PM  ETA Tarlac City

NOTE: This post is undergoing editing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bakit Ako Umaakyat ng Bundok? (V.2 - Hugot Version)

Ang Apat na Bundok ng Cawag (Balingkilat, Bira-Bira, Dayungan at Cinco Picos)

Misadventures at San Jose Circuit (Mt. Kawayan, Mt. Bungkol Baka and Mt. Tangisan)