The Challenges of Climbing Tarak Ridge

'We acquire the strength we have overcome.'


It is my fourth major dayhike climb. During the weekend, I had a fever and the day before I attended a BMC (Basic Mountaineering Course) seminar. I could still feel the exhaustion from that BMC because of the rescue drill we had to reenact. I really don’t feel like climbing that particular day but I have to honor my commitment. My body obviously is in need of much needed rest but, for goodness sake, here I am doing a major hike. Frankly, since it is a major climb I just know it will be a long trek and an arduous one since it is the middle of summer. I already decided to bring a lot of water to help me hydrate during the duration of the hike. I did bring 2 liters of water and another half liter of bottled soda. So, it is settled then that I will continue and let get over this climb. My climbing partner/friend Alvin assured me it will be all worth it once we reach the summit. Alright, I believed him. Tarak Ridge, for one is famous to climbers and based on my research the view from the summit is really something to look forward to.




Our trek started a little bit late. Just a few minutes on the trail I again felt the urged to stop this craziness. I want to back out and return to the base camp. Every step I make feels like depleting me of any motivation and energy left in me. But my fellow climbers are very encouraging and perhaps the hiker in me is still there and telling me to go on. So I continue together with our group accompanied by a lot of stop over along the way. The stop over as usual included a quick rest, photo op, and feeding for energy and replenishment. After about four hours we arrived at a shaded area near the summit. We took our lunch there and again we took a long rest before the final assault to the summit.







The assault to the summit is another thing to reckon with. It is almost a one hour trek amid slopes, lose soil and rocks, tall grasses and it’s an open area without trees along the way that will shelter us from the scorching sun. So, imagine how challenging that would be? But we’re near our goal and complaints will not be useful at all. So, with the little energy left in me I decided to make it to the top. And when at last I finally reached the summit it was pandemonium. Everybody is taking pictures in every popular spot atop the mountain. This one took us forever but again we have to remember that we still have to make our way back at the base camp.





And then came what I am worried about more than the trek up to the summit, the descent. This time I was expecting the way back to the base camp to be much harder. Again, with all the guts and energy left in me I made up my mind to do this before darkness fell. Unfortunately, aside from fact that I find it harder to trek at night I also forgot to bring my head light or a flashlight with me. I have my cellular phone with me but I am afraid of using it because it may run out of battery as I also forgot to bring any powerbank that is useful in replenishing my battery supply. How unlucky I am you may say but wait, there’s more.



The climb’s proven to be really challenging and one if not the most difficult climb I’ve ever done. But I didn’t regret going there after all. As in my previous climbs, I’ve made a couple of friends along the way, I learned a few things about the mountain, the locals and the place, and I’ve experienced something new. Climb Tarak Ridge if you’re into long and challenging trek and when you do it on a summer season just remember to bring at least 3 liters of water. Well, it really depends on your consumption. There is a water source half way along the climb located at the Papaya River. But I’ve made a mistake of not refilling my water container as we are descending because I am not comfortable drinking the water in the river. That was the biggest mistake I’ve made in this climb. Good thing one of my companion down the mountain offered me water, the one she got in the river. Thanks again Jesabel! When I tasted the water, it’s not bad after all. Do I need to be choosy in this time of necessity? Water is of utmost importance to a mountaineer lest he/she experience dehydration.


We made our way back to the jump-off point before night has fallen. And guess what I did upon arriving there? Yes, I immediately bought one bottle of cold water and another bottle of cold soda in the lone store located there. After that we still needed to walk back to the place where our vehicle is located. It is a one or two kilometers away and upon arriving there we took our reward for our whole day of hard work. A refreshing cold shower!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bakit Ako Umaakyat ng Bundok? (V.2 - Hugot Version)

Ang Apat na Bundok ng Cawag (Balingkilat, Bira-Bira, Dayungan at Cinco Picos)

Misadventures at San Jose Circuit (Mt. Kawayan, Mt. Bungkol Baka and Mt. Tangisan)